Tuesday, February 17, 2009

online identity

I logged onto Facebook to compare one of my friend's online identity to her offline identity. From what I could see, she represented herself accurately on Facebook. The activities and interests posted on her profile matched up with what she does on a regular basis offline. She is in a sorority and she has that on her profile as well. Basically, if you were trying to get to know my friend based only off of what she has on her Facebook profile, you would get a pretty good idea of who she is.

Another example in the difference between online and offline identity would be an acquaintance of mine from high school who I am friends with on Facebook. We really don't know each other very well and rarely talked in high school, but every time we are on Facebook chat at the same time he'll try to start a conversation with me. I think it shows that a lot of times people have more confidence communicating over the internet than they do in face to face communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment