Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Site Review-Flickr

The site review I signed up for was photo and video sharing so I created an account on a website called Flickr. It is a photo and video sharing site that is a part of Yahoo. Signing up was free and easy, all I had to do was create a Yahoo email account and I was in. My user name is kimzcmc and I had the ability to create my own profile. It reminded me of Facebook in a lot of ways. You can add a "buddy icon" which is the equivalent to your profile picture on Facebook. You can also specify whether you are male or female, and whether you are single or taken. There is also a "describe yourself" area where you can write a paragraph describing yourself however you want. You can also find contacts just like you find friends on Facebook. One of my contacts on Flickr is Kelly, so I can see his photo stream. There is also the option of commenting on others' photos and I commented on a photo of Kelly and I that he has on his photo stream.

When it came to actually sharing photos, you can upload photos from your own personal camera or, like I did, you can use pictures that are already online like off of Facebook. I only have three pictures on my photo stream, but that's because I was having a hard time uploading from my camera and then we did our site review presentation last week so I haven't really been on it a lot.

However, I did find several cool features in the time that I was on the site. There is the option of editing the photos from your photostream and to do that you can use the Picnik application. Using this application, there are literally tons of ways to edit and change your photos. You can change the color and tint, you can distort the image, add text or even snow or rain to your photos. Some of the features on Picnik were free, while others required that you purchase them.

You can also search for things that you are interested in, and chances are there are groups with hundreds if not thousands of photos for you to check out. For instance, I clicked on the beaches group and up popped hundreds of pictures of different beaches that Flickr users had uploaded. I think this site is cool because it is an outlet for professional photographers as well as the everyday camerman who just snaps random pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment